Nutrition is an important, vital, and essential part of a baby’s growth and development. It is the foundation for cognitive physical and mental well-being of a baby. As we all know breast milk, I’m breastfeeding, has been and still is the most concrete and reliable source of a baby’s nutrition and it is every mother’s dream. The early days of an infant’s life is very important in terms of nutrition so you can imagine the distress when a mother realizes that she can’t breastfeed her child due to certain unforeseen circumstances like difficulty lactating or busy schedule.
Over the last decade, infant formula has not only gained popularity but also has proven to be a great alternative for mothers who battle with impossibility to produce milk or a busy schedule. If you’re a mother planning to feed your baby with an instant formula, it is expected for you to have questions ranging from what kind of formula to get to how to use an instant formula. This article is here to help you make the best choice for your baby.
What are the main types of instant formula?
There are three main types of instant formula options in the market today. However, there are also other options that serves as an alternative for children with peculiar cases like prematurity or a specific medical condition that affects the gastrointestinal system. It is imperative that you consult your pediatrician to find a baby formula that is suitable to your child’s peculiar needs.
- COW MILK protein-based formula. This infant formulas is the closest to breast milk in its altered forms. They have a proper balance of nutrients. Making it easier to digest. Most babies sent to do very well with this formula, except for those who are allergic to milk or lactose intolerant and would need a different kind of formula. One of the most popular product of this type is the HiPP formula.
- SOY BASED formula. This is an alternative for babies with milk allergy and lactose intolerance. Its component is void of the very protein that causes milk allergy or intolerance in babies however it is also possible for babies to be allergic to this formula as well.
- Protein-based formulas: these formulas are made of proteins that has been hydrolyzed, that is the proteins have been broken down either in part or completely. This makes it very easy to digest and one of the best alternatives for babies with protein allergies.
Forms of infant formula
Infant formula comes in three different structures. the choice you make is dependent on What you consider inexpensive and labor free.
- LIQUID FORMULA: this form of instant formula comes concentrated and must be mixed with water before it can be used.
- INFANT FORMULA: this is also known as ready to use formula and it is considered the most convenient kind of infant formula. It doesn’t need any extra fuss asides being transferred into the feeding bottle. However, what you don’t pay with convenience you pay with money because this is the most expensive option.
- POWDERED INFANT FORMULA: this is by far the most common and most inexpensive form of infant formula. Yes of course you mix a measured scoop of powder with water too to make it but it certainly meets you in the middle both financially and in terms of convenience.