Today, we answer the age-old question – Invisalign or braces, which one is the right choice for you? As you are probably aware, both of these come with their own set of pros and cons, and it is up to you and your dentist to choose the best option for you.
We, on the other hand, can give you a brief overview, a few pointers, and some head-to-head between the two, and that’s exactly what we’re going to do. Let’s begin!
Despite what many people think, Invisalign is not a new company. They’ve been around since the 20th century, more precisely 1997, but as of recently, they’ve become one of the more popular options when it comes to straightening your teeth.
Essentially, Invisalign are invisible, custom-made, removable, plastic braces or aligners that you wear over your teeth. Unlike regular braces, Invisalign are easily removable, although they’re only meant to be removed while you eat and brush your teeth.
Now, there are many invisible braces on the market, and not all of them are Invisalign, so make sure you consult with your dentist and/or orthodontist before making a decision. To get “the original” invisible braces – you will have to visit the doctor’s office.
Also, it is worth noting that Invisalign is designed for mild to moderate cosmetic issues that can be corrected in less than a year, which means these aren’t applicable in every situation.
Invisalign vs. Braces
Now that we know a bit more about Invisalign, we’re now going to see how the invisible braces stack up against the “real deal”.
Advantages Of Invisalign
- Design – Some folks find braces to be a bit off-putting, but invisible aligners such as these ones are completely undetectable from only a few feet away. So, if you’re self-conscious about the look of your braces – go with the Invisalign.
- Comfort – Unlike regular braces, Invisalign is quite comfy. The aligner fits snuggly over your teeth, gently repositioning them without poking or hurting you in the process.
- Eating – Seeing how you’ll remove your invisible aligners while eating – there are no limitations as to what you can eat like there are with regular, traditional braces.
- Oral hygiene – With Invisalign, it’s easy to maintain excellent oral hygiene. You just take the aligner off, wash it, and brush your teeth like you usually would. That’s it.
Advantages Of Traditional Braces
- Effectiveness – Traditional braces are very effective in dealing with both minor and major cosmetic issues, which is not the case with Invisalign.
- Invisible options – Braces can be invisible, too. There are lingual braces that are attached to the back of your teeth, making them even less visible than the Invisalign. Also, there are ceramic braces that can be made of tooth-coloured resins so that they don’t stand out as much.
- Cost – Depending on where you’re receiving your care, traditional braces can be more affordable than the invisible aligners, although they won’t always be.
Final Verdict – Which Are Better?
As you can see, there are some clear points both for Invisalign and the braces. The bottom line is this – they’re both good at what they do. Whether you should choose one or the other – we can’t tell you. But, your dentist could, so, consult with them.